Thursday, November 12, 2020

"Crown him with many crowns..."

      That hymn about many crowns came to mind today when I was sitting in the dentist chair getting a tooth crowned. Having experienced some sensitivity in that tooth for months I decided to keep a routine dental appointment. The tooth was cracked and I got it crowned in one sitting. The dentist pulled his computer next to me and I watched the screen as he designed the crown. When he'd finished the design he pressed 'send' and said it would be ready in 14 minutes. It was, he inserted it, and two and a half hours I was done with no need to return. What will they think of next?

“Life seems sometimes like nothing more than a series of losses, from beginning to end. That’s the given. How you respond to those losses, what you make of what’s left, that’s the part you have to make up as you go.” Katherine Weber

   When I read this quote from author Katherine Weber I had two reactions. My first reaction was that it's a negative view of life. Sure there are losses in life but certainly there is more to life than that. But, second, "...How you respond to those losses, what you make of what’s left, that’s the part you have to make up as you go." resonates. Perhaps another way of speaking of this is that grief can make you either better or bitter.  I don't know if I am better but I have tried to eschew bitterness.

    You may have guessed by the dental reference that I'm in Minneapolis. In conversation with a friend I found myself saying "I'll go home Saturday."  The Little House feels like home now. The condo is very familiar but, for now, I'm emotionally fixed there in The Little House.

Takk for alt,

Al

1 comment:

Marilyn Sharpe said...

I have often said that Crown Them With Many Crowns ceased being a favorite hymn when I was in my 40's and got my first crown. I am utterly intrigued with having one done in a single sitting. What an improvement ... especially during these uncertain times.
Blessings,
Marilyn