Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Who'd thought?

    As one who spent 8 years is a one room school, lived on a farm that for long had neither radio nor running water, etc., etc., I am certifiably a geezer and older than dirt's father, who'd think I'd be computer addicted? Well I am! When my computer crashed a few days ago I became seriously adrift. Even the life line of a Smart Phone, only kept me from going completely over the brink. But, here I am with a new laptop, and quickly going to forget the frustrations of dealing with corporate bureaucracies. Should I seek out a 12 step program for computeritis?
     During this span of computer issues reading was it's typical balm. It's always fascinating to read about places I've been. In 1950 Norman Lewis traveled in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. His book detailing those travels; Dragon Apparent: Travels in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam was published in 1951.  Beginning in 1997 I've made several trips to SE Asia and most of the places he visited I have too.
    In 1950 those three countries were still French Colonies but the Viet Minh was very actively fighting colonial rule. These opposing forces controlled different parts of the countries and his traveling dependent on very fluid military situations. In 1954 the French were decisively defeated but unfortunately Americans continued the conflict. One of the Viet Minh officers told Lewis that the only solution to colonial rule was communism. For many of those opposing colonial rule the real issue was nationalism.

   So here I am computerized again and a benefit will be access to books on Kindle. The loan expired on a couple of books I was reading via Kindle while I was offline.

Takk for alt,

Al

PS My computer was fully backed up so I didn't lose any files.

No comments: