Wednesday, June 24, 2020

A regret!


"My advice to you, young people, is to start asking questions of your elders about family history and who did what when and why and don’t stop until you get answers because, though you’re much too cool to be interested in family history now, someday you’ll want to know these things and by that time they will all be dead.
Okay? Read that paragraph over a couple of times to yourself and then go do it."   Garrison Keillor
     Keillor is correct. When I think of all the time I spent with my parents and how little I asked them I'm filled with regret. Mother was more willing to talk about her past than was my father. She would volunteer information. Occasionally my father would offer a story like telling of his mother who had a severe toothache. The nearest dentist was in the town of Lake Preston about 15 miles away and required travelling via a wagon. The toothache persisted until Lake Preston came into view and then it vanished.  Now, there is so much I would like to know but don't because I didn't ask. This is further proof that youth is wasted on young people.
     Today, observing my customary pattern I spent the morning outside on a project. It's another gorgeous day at The Little House. 79 degrees, sunny, slight breeze that makes the reflection of the trees in the pond look like an impressionist painting, with a few puffy clouds, is my definition of a perfect day. So I took my laptop outside and I'm writing this in the shade of a lilac. Certainly I'm blessed and Trygve likes it here, too.

Takk for alt,
Al
Mystery object on a wheel.




No comments: