Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Vegetative social distancing!

     When white settlers came to America they attempted to plan corn, maize, as they had planted wheat. They would take the seed and scatter it by hand. It didn't work. Corn is the social distancing crop of the plant world. Modern seed corn companies do extensive research studying the maximum effective planting rate. Corn does not like to be crowded and is never found growing wild, it's always under some form of cultivation.
     Last year I wrestled with the decision about spraying my corn. The farmer side of me wanted to spray for a clean fields. The sportsman side of me thought, 'weedy corn is better for wildlife' and so I didn't spray. This year the weed crop is choking the corn. If I don't spray there will be no corn.
    This morning I sprayed the weediest field,  It was so choked with weeds that almost no soil (don't call it dirt) was visible. The corn could almost be heard crying for "help". In addition to the issue of crowding, the weeds also take the nutrients, and moisture plus they also block the sun.
    What about the other field you ask?  Mechanical failure; so perhaps I'll accomplish spraying it tomorrow.
    Deer seek salt. There are no natural salt licks in this area. Farmers who raise cattle buy salt for their herds in fifty pound blocks. The deer consume the fifty pound block I place by the food plot in twelve months.  There was a doe with two fawn not far from the salt block yesterday, perhaps she is drawn to it. No one is permitted to hunt deer on that property so the salt is not a form of baiting.
     Life is good, I am grateful!

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: