Thursday, June 4, 2020

Same, same...

   Anthony Trollope's Barchester Towers was published in 1857, not even I was alive then. 😊 Those of you who have read this classic may remember that the context of the novel is the Church of England's Diocese of Barchester. The issues that arise in this fictional diocese are very similar to many of the issues experienced during my ministry.
   There's the issue of the role of music and liturgy for instance. Of course the big issue then, as now, is power and personality. Who will be in charge? When the new bishop comes, immediately there's division into two camps. There are those who like the way things were done and those happy for change.  "We've always done it this way."
    Trollope's a great writer, which goes without saying since his books are still popular. Some  of the scenes make me laugh out loud. Perhaps this should have been assigned reading in seminary. It would have been a good seminar text in preparation for congregational life.
     Obviously I'm a person of privilege that I have the leisure and opportunity to spend much time reading.

Takk for alt,

Al

PS It was on this day, June 4, 962, that I was honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corps. Two years and two days later, June 6, 1964, Joanne and I were married. It was my pattern to tease Joanne that I could always remember our anniversary date in relationship to the date of my discharge. Uffda.
Joanne eating Lutefisk

No comments: