Monday, September 9, 2019

Patriarchal Assumption!

   At a delightful dinner tonight I was reunited with Joyce Rosengren for the first time since the early 1970's. Joyce and Stan had been in Kenmare, N.D., for about a year before we arrived in Mohall. Shortly after we moved in, in 1968, I have a distinct memory of them coming to welcome us. A kindness remembered these 51 years. Joyce and Stan now live in The Dalles, OR., and she was in town for her 61st, St. Olaf Nursing Class, reunion.
     We were hosted by Lowell and Linda Brandt who were at rural Kenmare during the aforementioned time. On the Luther College campus in Decorah, IA., stands Brandt Hall for women, where my Lisa lived her freshman year. Brandt Hall is named for one of Lowell's ancestors which I've known for a long time. Tonight I asked him the family connection, assuming it was a grandfather, uncle or some male relative...such was my patriarchal assumption. Lowell said "It is named after my great-great grandmother!"  She had been the "college mother" for years, thus the honor when the dorm was dedicated in 1950.
    They all knew and loved Joanne so she was much a part of our reminiscing. Lowell has suffered the death of several of his siblings and, he too, lives in the land of grief. In this context he shared his daily "mantra."  "In honor of those who have not lived to see this day, I pledge to live this day as fully as possible."
   Now, isn't that a take away from a delightful evening of remembering with long time friends?   Blessed, blessed, I am so blessed!

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: