Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Life and Grief and Love

   Many of the responses to my blog come via email, as did the two

quotes below from WORD FOR THE DAY, sent by a friend. Nightingale is correct, "life life when you have it."  That is what I have tried to do since Joanne died as I've moved into the land of grief. It echoes, in some part, the mantra that Lowell shared as reported in the last two blogs.

    The second Word For The Day requires more contemplation. The first sentence, "walk into the house of mourning,"  is something I have tried to do and I think I am better for having done that. " For grief is love squaring up to its oldest enemy"...I guess I hadn't thought of death as "love's oldest enemy."  
    In what way is "love up to the challenge"?  Memory? Continued living? Hope? Enduring love? More to contemplate..........


WORD FOR THE DAY

Live life when you have it. Life is a splendid gift--there is nothing small about it.
Florence Nightingale

WORD FOR THE DAY

Walk fearlessly into the house of mourning. For grief is just love squaring up to its oldest enemy, and after all these mortal human years love is up to the challenge.
Kate Braestrup
  
                                                 People of the Book
by Sarah Rossiter
August 30, 2019
Though some might think it heresy
I confess it troubles me that though
He said to those He led that a grapevine
can’t grow figs, isn’t that just what
we did, having turned His skin to white
and changed his sight—our blue-eyed boy
grafted to a Christian tree so even though
He did decree we love our neighbors as
ourselves, once we claimed Him for
our own, we turned His people into “them.”
The Christian Century 9/11/2019 p. 22
Takk for alt,
Al

No comments: