Sunday, September 29, 2019

Lisbon, Portugal

    Arrived today with enough time to explore Lisbon a bit. It's roughly the size of the Twin Cities, or just under 3 million in the grater area. The temperature was 85 this afternoon and predicted to drop to 62 overnight.  It has a bit of the feel, weather wise, of southern California.
      And, oh yes, I won the lottery...the rooming lottery. When I signed up for this Road Scholar trip I checked the "double occupancy box" because it saves a few hundred dollars. No, I'm not cheap, I'm frugal. Reasoning that there aren't many single geezer, males traveling alone, I'd likely get a room to myself for double occupancy price. Bingo! 😃 There are 22 in our group, one from Canada and the rest from a variety of states.
     There's a lecture about Portugal scheduled for after breakfast tomorrow....jet lag anyone? So, do I sit in the front so I can hear? or in the back so my sleeping is less obvious?  Ah, the dilemmas I face!
   One of the gifts of my frequent trips to Asia is making a flight to Europe seem brief. My flights today took me through Paris, where it was raining and featured some very long walks in both that and the Lisbon airport. Can someone explain why a trip though security is required when one is simply transferring airplanes? Security in Paris was particularly demanding.
    Dinner tonight was in the 8th floor dinning room of the hotel. The views of the city, with the sun setting, were stunning. Floor to ceiling glass allowed full appreciation of the spectacular view. The food was delicious and the service superb.
     I think I will sleep well tonight.

Takk for alt,

Al

Weekend market downtown, Lisbon.

Downtown market, Lisbon.

Go carts, down town, Lisbon.

No comments: