Wednesday, July 3, 2019

7/3/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
He came back from WW II, in the mid-40s and that's my first memory of W T. Sometime after that he was my Sunday School teacher in the 'old west church', which means it was before 1950 when the new church was built.  Today he stored a car in my garage and I drove him home.  On the drive he turned the conversation to life in the land of grief, though those are my words not his.  There are more ways that our lives are intertwined but we also share the bond of widower-hood.  Mutually agreeing that being newly single can be very lonely we also agreed that life is important to us.
   What is one to do when the 'lonelys' strike?  Tonight, feeling alone, I went out to eat and sat down next to a diner who knows my family and that dissipated the loneliness.  My plan of regular people contact to daily fill my 'people bladder' has been working well enough so I seldom experience being lonely.  Certainly I miss Joanne and all things we'd talk about...all the events and people I could tell her about.  But it's a gift of my introversion that being alone a lot is not overwhelming...not as it would be for Joanne were she in my situation. Then opening up my email I found a message from a friend, plus pictures of Joanne when they shared lunch, another antidote to loneliness.
    Living in the land of grief I am so blessed to be involved with so many communities, have an attentive family and many friends.  My occasional taste of loneliness mostly serves to remind me of how blessed I am.

Takk for alt,

Al

Pictures of Joanne at lunch 2/10/2016











No comments: