Wednesday, July 10, 2019

7/10/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
More that once I quipped to Joanne that "we know more people who have died than those living."  The literal truth of that maybe something else but at this stage of life many whom I have known have died.  
   Tomorrow I will attend John's funeral. John is my sister-in-law's brother.  That makes him uncle to two of my nieces.  These nieces are daughter's of my late brother who died in 1997.  Anything I can do to make up for the loss of their father I am keen to do.  He would have taken such delight in them as adult women.  Then, too, I want to be there for my sister-in-law and all of John's family.  
   On Saturday, I will attend Dennis' funeral.  We were in Sioux Falls simultaneously, colleagues, and Joanne, and his wife, Louise, were friends.  Both John and Dennis were slightly older than I, but not much.  
    One of the learnings from Joanne's death and funeral...actually reinforced something I already knew..is the power of presence at the time of bereavement.  "If you care be there."   Often I'm at a loss for words and there are so many circumstances in which words fail, at least for me, but being there speaks volumes.  So, I came away from Joanne's rituals deeply grateful for everyone one who was there.  There were some present that I didn't see or know about until I read the guest register. That was quiet grace which also reminded me that I am blessed and that I am not alone in the land of grief.

Takk for alt,

al

No comments: