Friday, July 12, 2019

7/12/2019 Caring Bridge



Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago

For two years we shared the same campus.  Mutual friends, the late Earl & Maxine Amundson, wanted to introduce us.  Foolishly I resisted "What would a member of the faculty want with me a USMC veteran, undergraduate student?"  Of course I knew who she was, Augustana's first Director of Student activities, with an office by the front door of the Commons Building.  Often I saw her there, at chapel and, during the second semester, making her way around campus on crutches after she broke her ankle on ice. (Here a small discursis: Her broken ankle was surgically pinned, and even after years of running never gave her any trouble.)   It was Uncle Harold and Aunt Agnes, who broke the ice and brought us together introducing us in the cafeteria line.
     Fifty-seven years have blurred some of the details in my memory.  Where there more lunches? Additional conversations?  Probably, but I can't say with certainty. Then came a fateful phone call.  One of the member's of the College and Career Club members withdrew from the trip to Holden about two weeks before we were to leave because of her impending wedding.   There was space available and Doris' withdrawal threatened to disturb the cooperative finances.  Do you see where this is going?  The additional financial burden caused me to withdraw, too. NOT!  
    Withdrawal never crossed my mind!  I knew someone who knew all about Holden, for whom no  explanation would be necessary, Joanne.  Fifty-seven years later again some of the details escape me, but the main points are clear;  In a phone call to Joanne I asked her if she wanted to go to Holden with us.  She was scheduled to vacation with her friends Maren and Jenine.  Likely she said "I'll get back to you,"  While I remember calling her I don't remember the details after that except she said "Yes, I'll go!.
   
(More tomorrow)

Takk for alt,

Al
At Lavonne's wedding.

No comments: