Monday, July 15, 2019

7/15/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Lake Joanne has been over its banks, i.e., US Highway 81, for some time but with the recent rains it's even higher.  Now it is so high that the road is closed with a traffic barrier beside my nephew's driveway. There is water over his driveway and for about 100 yards of the highway he must drive to enter or exit his property.  The highway has been raised twice, 5-7' feet each time.  Locals speculate about what the DOT will do to solve the problem this time.  Water is flowing out naturally but not as fast as it is coming in from the recent rains.  We gave some thought to driving through the water with a tractor but the barricades discouraged us.
   Mowing some thistles on my pollinator plot revealed a plethora of flowers and many monarch butterflies.  With the bumper crop of milkweed there should be plenty of choices for the monarchs. My corn is growing which causes me some in-congruence.  The farmer in me notes the weeds that are growing which makes me think I should spray.  The sportsman side of me thinks, 'a weedy cornfield is perfect for pheasants.'  The variety of weeds that are growing aren't the kind that send seeds blowing in the wind, i.e., thistles for example, which tips the balance to 'live and let live.'  Oh, and the corn is not visible from the road so I don't have to worry about neighbor's scorn.
    Such are the major issues with which I have to deal as I limp through the land of grief.

Takk for alt,

Al

Pictures: 1, Rollie on the road, 2, 2.5 miles of Highway 81, under water, 3, the school building where I attended grades 1-8, now on my nephews farm, 4, my weedy corn, 5, trucking corn through the water.

No comments: