Thursday, January 14, 2016

Bangkok'd Appeal?

      Why does a South Dakota f arm boy like me like cities. It's clear that I do, having chosen to live downtown. I do like Bangkok.  Part of its appeal is the differentness; the food stalls on the sidewalks, the man with his sewing machine on the sidewalk next to the  key maker, trucks loaded sky high, vendors hawking their wares, etc.  However, I've spent enough time here that most of that is now familiar to me.
       It's the energy, I've decided, that attracts me to cities.   When it comes to energy Bangkok rocks. It's in the traffic, the crowds and the total ambiance.  Bangkok is a great place to visit but live here??? I think it would soon wear me down.

SIGNS OBSERVED
    Along the 30 minute cab ride from the airport to the guesthouse is a large hospital with  a huge neon sign proclaiming PIYATE HOSPITAL.  I guess it was paid for so it stays up.  I puzzled over this sign along Silom Road  for a moment before its meaning became clear;  Bar Ber Upstairs.  There is nothing to drink but you can get a haircut.  My favorite is in Ayutthaya that  says CITY LIMITS PRODUCE SPEED.  Go ahead and make a dash for it...not that Thai drivers need any encouragement to drive faster.             

No comments: