Friday, February 8, 2013

Farwell Wat Klong!

    It was a grand farewell with food, a demonstration of ancient Thai dance and sword fighting, gifts and speeches as I said goodbye to Wat Klong School.  Among the gifts was a genuine Thai silk shirt and presents for my family in America.  Most volunteers only stay a few days at most so there is much appreciation that I not only come every year but I teach for four weeks.  They made me promise I'd come again next year.
   My farewell to the 3rd and 4th grade classes was tainted a bit by the absence of many of the best students.  They were off at an athletic contest.  When they are gone it takes much of the energy from the class and I didn't get to say goodbye.
  Tutoring the two students at home was delightful.  They came over so we could take pictures last night.  This morning I learned that their mother's were not happy about the pictures.  The girls were in their everyday clothes.  So a retake is scheduled for Monday morning at 7:00 a.m. when they will be dressed "appropriately."
  Every Thai student 3rd grade and above (perhaps younger, too, I don't know) know all the English words and music of Jingle Bells.  For the most part they don't have a clue about the meaning of the words.  It seems that Jingle Bells is universally used for teaching English.  A "one horse open sleigh" are words with out meaning.  Perhaps indicative of some (much?) of the Thai teaching.
This 2nd grader thinks I'm cool.

Pet and Hawa, grade 4.

Hanging out before school.

3rd graders not at the races.
Sword fight demo.

Classic dance demo.

Making snow demo. (Thanks Mrs. N., Noble School)

Snow.
Farwell pic.

Wearing my silk shirt with teachers.

The picture with the girls I tutored.

No comments: