Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Back to the forties!

   Standing at the opening exercises at Wat Klang this morning I noticed about 20 students, both boys and girls from various grades called out.  They piled into the Principal's Toyota Corolla and the teacher of 3 yr old's two-seat pick-pick up.  It was explained to me that they were going to a bocce ball competition.
   Watching them leave created significant cognitive dissonance in me. My first reaction was the American liability response.  Not only were they not wearing seat belts there were 6 boys in the open bed of the pick-up.  Can you imagine the liability issues in America in this situation if there were an accident.  That doesn't even consider the issue of one adult in a car with students.  I just shook my head.
   But, then, I had a second response.  Growing up as I did in a rural community decades ago we did things like that all the time.  Back in the forties when I was in elementary school no one would have thought anything of  it.  Perhaps part of the attraction of SE Asia for me is the similarities to some things from my childhood.  
4th grade.

3rd grade.

Teachers at opening exercises.

Shadow boxing.

Sitting at opening exercises.

Jumping rope during noon hour.

No comments: