Friday, April 28, 2023

"You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me, Loose Wheel"

   In 1977 Kenny Rogers released a hit song "You Picked A Fine Time Leave Me Lucille."   Several years later the Balgaard Brothers released a parody of Rogers' song You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me Loose Wheel. The later song came to mind when a wheel on my tractor came loose. Fortunately it didn't 'leave me' it just slid several inches on the axle and. again fortunately, it slid in and not and off. 😀

     The rear wheels are designed to be adjustable for variable width tread. Over the years, though not for many years, I've adjusted such wheels. So the process is familiar and simple. However, the accomplishment requires some heavy physical labor. I'd guess the wheel weighs about a thousand pounds. It's held in place by four bolts, all of which were rusted tight. Two of those bolts, on the inside of the hub. are obscured by a fender. Once the bolts are loosened the wheel needs to be slid, uphill becasue that side of the tractor is jacked up, back into its proper place. 

    A real farmer once told me that each spring he needed to work himself back into good physical condition. Imagine my physical condition after lying about all winter in the OFH. Yes, I got the job done and got a good physical workout moving myself toward better physical shape. All the tools needed were in my shop and that provided a good place to work. Now the tractor is prepared to pull the plow.

Takk for alt,

Al



    This is the tractor with previously loose wheel.


No comments: