Sunday, February 8, 2015

Tomorrow.......

     After delivering the dogs...I've been dog sitting Kjell while L's working in Cambodia and Vietnam...to their doggie camps it feels like it's time to go. Both Trygve and Kjell were delighted about their camp.  Kjell went to Now Boarding which is pretty much a doggie spa,  As soon as I opened the car door he leaped out, ran inside and led his handler back to his place never looking back at me.  And Trygve, he stays with Cassandra the uber dog lady, when I left he was romping in the back yard with two other dogs.  Once when I asked Cassandra where Trygve slept she said "Between us."
    The good people at Grace University Lutheran Church gave me a huge sendoff this morning.  As is their custom at significant departures they invited me into the center aisle, as many as could laid their hands on me and sang "My the long time sun shine upon you, all love surround you, and the pure light within you guide you on your way home."  It was like a mini ordination.  They also took an offering to send with me to use to help Thai people in need.  One of my priorities is to get Mai back into school.
    My plane leaves at 11;30 a.m. tomorrow morning.  The airline, Delta, says I should be there three hours before flight time.  At the airport I'm going to the candy store to buy a box of candy and when we're settled into cruising altitude I'm going to give it to the flight attendant in my section in memory of Steve.
   A couple of years ago I shared a flight to and from Thailand with my cousin Steve.  When we were airborne he pulled a box of candy from his carry on and gave in to the flight attendant.  He said to me "You should do this when you fly.  Flight attendants have a tough job and don't get much appreciation."   Last fall  I was with Steve at our family reunion. He told me all about his recent trip to Thailand...he'd been there 22 times...and Laos.  When I told him about my  plans to go to Thailand in 2015 he said "Remember to give the flight attendant a box of candy."  On the way home from the reunion Steve and his brother, Mark, went to fly their ultralight plane which crashed and they were both killed.  So I'll remember Steve and if the flight attendant has a moment I'll tell the story. Steve was my Thailand buddy.
  In a couple of days when I get the chance I'll begin daily blogs.  I leave Minneapolis at 11:30 a.m., Monday, arrive in Bangkok at 11:00 p.m. Tuesday and plan to go to Ayutthaya Wednesday so I can teach Thursday and Friday.

No comments: