Sunday, February 15, 2015

Day Trip...or, All will Be Revealed


   The family with whom I stay asked me to be back from Bangkok on Saturday because they had a special plan for Sunday.  Plans were rather vague but I've learned not to worry about it because in due time 'all will be revealed'.  However, they did say we'd be gone all day.
   We headed off towards the northeast and after driving for two hours we pulled off unto a side road.  If I could read Thai the sign would have told me where were going but all I could tell was they we were driving through a beautiful forest in some low mountains.  As we rounded a curve I could see a temple ahead.  I thought, "Of course, that's where Thai always take visitors."  Last year I visited a large island on the north edge of Bangkok and the only place there still  bicycle powered pedi-cabs.  The guide book said renting one was a good way to see the island which is what I did.  Fifteen minutes later we were at a temple...what else might one want to see?
   The temple, Wat Pasawang Bun, was rather unusual but the real surprise was that it was only a quick stop on the way to the waterfalls at Namton Chet National Park, another hour down the road.  We would consider them rapids but they were beautiful.  Being well into the dry season the water flow was rather modest.
    On our way home we stopped to see the huge Pasak Dam, part of the flood control project that protects Ayutthaya.  This route took us through farm country.  Sugar cane harvest is in full swing so the roads were choked with trucks loaded with sugar care eighteen feet high...no height restrictions there.
   One of the most telling moments showing the nature of the family happened when they made a wrong turn and ended up at a dead end.  It struck them funny, they all laughed uproariously, joking about it for miles.
Wat Pasawang Bun

Park Entrance

Have to have a tractor pic

The rapids

No comments: