Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chinese New Year

   A couple of years ago a student from my alma mater, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, called to thank me for a gift.  Her English was good but not American so I engaged her in conversation.  She told me that she was sophomore from Ghana.  So I asked her what she thought of South Dakota winters.  She replied "There are no words for it!"
   That's how I was feeling about describing the Chinese New Year's celebration in Ayutthaya but I've been challenged to try so here goes.  Main street is shut down for about 8 blocks, except of course for the motor bikes that weave through the pedestrians.  There are two performing stages with constant performances, Chinese dancing, singing, acrobatics, magic shows, etc.  Then there are endless booths demonstrating, selling. giving massages, serving food...you name it...selling clothes, toys, jewelry, household goods, cars, trucks, motor bikes...about anything you can imagine.
   The streets are filled people elbow to elbow or closer...it's nice to be tall.  Every food imaginable is for sale cooked on site with  food court tables and chairs.  Red is the predominant color, clothing, lanterns, stage decorations. lights, dance troops weaving through the crowd as dragons.
   Take the state fair, a huge block party, market and the world's largest church bazaar and stir them in a pot....I hope you get the idea.


Unfinished school...3yrs?  something about counting the cost before you begin to build.  I'm happy, I like the funky, old wood school.

I like the lotus flower water towers.


After the 2011 flood this elevated walkway (see red roof) was built between to chapels of the temple.  There's been no flood since and this construction is perhaps why there wasn't money to finish the new school.  No one supervises how the abbot spends money.
My school seen from the temple.

3rd grade.

3rd grade.

No comments: