Friday, January 25, 2008

Good Morning from Laos

Many of the buildings of Vientiane were built by the French when Laos was a colony. Some of them are well kept but many show much mildew and mouldering, effects of the tropical climate. I find it an attractive place with the more traditional Lao architecture mixed with the French. I see some signs of development in the neighborhood since I was here five years ago. I'm sitting in the same inter net cafe today and I can't tell that the inter net service is any faster than it was then.
It's time I do a quiz. In fact I'll ask a couple of questions. What is the name of the reclusive leader of the Pathet Lao during the revolution that overthrew the Royal Lao government? How many bombing runs a day did the US average over Laos during the Vietnam war? A cup of coffee to anyone who can either question. (Kathy B., the answer is in the book I loaned you before your trip last fall.)
The sun's coming out....cloudy this a.m., perhaps lower 70's so the natives have their coats on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad -

Is the Arc d'Triomphe knockoff still in the center for Vientienne?

I should know answers to your qs but I've forgotten.

Love,
Lisa

Paul Richards said...

Was it Khamtay Siphandone?