Sunday, January 27, 2008

Eye Contact

While walking about I like to make eye contact with the people I meet. Most of the Asians will meet my gaze and when I smile their faces light up like a great morning sunrise. Very often they will then greet me. Perhaps 1 in 100 Caucasians will look me in the eye and if I smile they look away. What do you suppose this means? The Asians are amused by the lettuce in my teeth?
I sent my week's laundry out via the guest house where I'm staying. It was returned clean, pressed and folded. A few moments later there was a knock on my door. A young man stood there with a pen and a five dollar bill that had been found in my pockets. Perhaps that's part of the reason I love SE Asia.

1 comment:

Paul Richards said...

Sounds like you're on a great adventure. Post some pictures when you get a chance.