Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Exotic or????????

Life teems on the streets of Bkk, much in contrast with Golden Valley when the temperature is below zero. I find it fascinating, amusing and exotic. The streets choked with traffic; cars, buses, bikes, motorcycles, Tuk Tuks, all sorts of motorcycle contrivances carrying cargo, push carts of sellers of fruit, vegetables, clothes and all sorts of commodities. Side walks are crowded with sellers' stalls making foot traffic difficult and banging tall person's heads with the umbrellas. Everything imaginable is sold; food many Thai eat on the street...more like snacks than regular meals, clothing, nick knacks, kitchen wear, shoes, hardwear...it's better than a circus. Yesterday I was reveling in the difference from my everyday life, for that is why I travel, to experience the difference. While I was enthralled with the scene I became aware of a tinny pounding. Then I saw an elderly women flattening cans to support herself and then it struck me; vibrant? exotic? Yes. But these were real humans living their lives and for many if is a life of pain and struggle.

A large high rise building is going up next to my hotel. Work began at daylight, 7am, and they were still working at dark, 7pm.

No comments: