Saturday, June 22, 2024

Summertime...

      "Summer time and the living is easy." The truth is that my living is always easy. Summer solstice is always a bit sad for me. It's the knowledge that daylight hours now shrink for six months. After another .7" of rain last night the Sun is out! April, May and June, thus far, have not been very warm but that looks to change next week. I'll by happy for some hot!

     Living, and also reading, are constant reminders of what I don't know. The Merlin Bird App on my phone teaches me much. Now that the grackles have departed with their offspring the cemetery allows many other species to be heard. It's no surprise to me to learn of the variety of sparrows; chipping, song, grasshopper, swamp, because I knew there were many indistinguishable to me. Previously I recorded a yellow throat, new to me and it was singing again today. The recording also identified a willow flycatcher.  It's a species totally new to me yet is very common across the U.S. 

     My Dad was interested in birds so from him I picked up the interest. The Merlin Bird app, thanks Lisa, is expanding my knowledge. Now I can even recognize chipping sparrows by their call. Learning keeps life interesting. The book I'm reading has frequent foreign words so I make frequent reference to Google.

Takk for alt,

Al


                       The willow flycatcher is a cute little bird I likely mistook for a sparrow.

No comments: