Monday, June 24, 2024

Mail Call!

         A year ago, Emma, began her duties as the Sinai Postmistress, she lives a few doors from The Little  House. It was my luck to be  her first customer. She often treats me to samples of her baking, e.g., chocolate chip cookies, and I reciprocate by bringing her chocolate, because I don't bake. As a resident of Sinai I'm entitled to a free P.O. Box. Her window is open 10:00-12:00 a.m. Monday-Saturday. With the opportunity for pleasant exchange with her I often pick up my mail while she's there. 

     While in the Marines Ed and I were office clerks in a rifle company, Marine parlance for infantry. One of our duties was to distribute mail to Marines in the company. We'd assemble the troops late in the day, and, holding the days mail, we'd call the names on the envelopes. 

    Were I to do that today I'd have more sympathy for the Marines who waited and hoped day after day for mail that did not come. Whether they were hoping for mail from family or a girl friend they were often disappointed.

    Today's visit to the P.O., brought treasures from Ed's attic.  One gift was a copy of the February 1954, Science And Mechanics: The Magazine That Shows How, Price $.25. On the cover "Performance Tests on 1954 Nash Rambler" with a picture of one. The article states "Whipping through sharp dips...the Rambler showed good springing characteristics and settled down quickly after the bump."

     But that's not all that Ed's envelope contained. Also included was an April 1960 copy of  Leatherneck: Magazine Of The Marines. That month Ed and I were six months into our enlistment.  There were a surprising number of cartoons contained in its pages. There was also a 10 question quiz with questions like this: "Marine Corps Leadership is based on the premise that....

            a) men can be trained to be leaders

            b) leaders are born not made

            c) strong, tall men make better leaders"         p. 8   

   Very delightful to peruse these archival magazines!  Thanks, Ed!😀 

Takk for alt,

Al



No comments: