Sunday, April 29, 2018

Time lag.

We visited the cemetery tonight.  It is quite large, surrounded by a double row of Norway Pine and very beautiful. I'm very pleased that we will be buried next to my grandparents, neither of whom I knew.  Lars died in 1919 of diabetes, just as the role of insulin was becoming clear.  Sigrid, died in 1937, one year before I was born. There is a large granite stone inscribed NEGSTAD, with smaller markers for Lars and Sigrid.
    Many of the persons buried there are known to me and I know the families of almost all even if I did not know some of the individuals.  A church stood in the cemetery until a new one was built in 1950, in Sinai a half a mile away.  In 1907 the train tracks were laid where the town now stands and the town was built by the railroad.  As a child attending that church I remember Sunday School in the summer because the church was small and cold in the winter.  Often our classes were held in the grass between the tombstones.
     Tomorrow Joanne will be laid to rest next to my grandparents, awaiting my turn to join her with them.  Surreal...it seems so surreal.  We've not rushed anything.  By modern standard, we've been very deliberate...now fifteen days since Joanne died. But so much of me is not ready for the finality of this goodbye.  How can it be, that almost fifty four years have passed since we said "I do."  Gentle readers, try not to take the time you have for granted.  "The grass withers, the flower fades, the wind blows and knows it's place no more..."
    I guess that's all I can say.....

No comments: