Thursday, April 26, 2018

Interesting Burial Twist

Sinai Lutheran Church, Sinai, S.D., may be unique.  No one to whom I've spoken has heard of another congregation that give daughters and sons of the congregation, burial plots when they are ordained.  What made the gift especially meaningful to us is the message that accompanied it.  At my ordination a representative of the congregation approached us and said "Likely you'll move around in your ministry, but, this will always be home.  Therefore, the congregation is giving you two burial plots in the cemetery."  Any Gentle Readers ever hear of another congregation doing that?
    Over the years Joanne and I thought about this offer.  When our children did not object we decided that we'd be buried there.  Many years ago the cemetery administrator asked if we'd like to be buried beside my Uncle, Henry Negstad, and his wife Inga.  They had no children so it seemed logical to use the plots next to them.  That was the plan until today.
   Today my brother, David, met with the current cemetery administrator to make arrangements.  That's when things got interesting. It tunrs out that Inga is not buried beside Henry but at his foot.  Likely the confusion occurred because Inga was buried in the winter and the wrong grave was opened.  However, this need not change our plans.
    David, went on.  There is another option.  Our Grandfather, Lars Negstad and his wife Sigrid, are also buried in the cemetery, and there are  six additional places in that plot.  For years there was a huge evergreen tree on the plot which likely deterred other burials.  So, that is where Joanne will be buried, as will I, when my time comes.
    Joanne and I had planned to have our marker chosen and installed but we never go around to it.  Some times there is a reason for procrastination.  Had it been installed it might have limited our choices now.  There is a huge granite stone on my Grandparents site: NEGSTAD.  Any marker we choose will need to coordinate with that.
    This whole scenario leaves me a bit unsettled.  Joanne and I had often visited the site at which we planned to be buried.  Now, without consulting her I made a change.  One part of me knows; she would have gladly made the switch had she been asked and now that she's gone she beyond such minor details.  Still if feels odd.
    From Joanne's current location I hope she knows how well I'm being cared for in her absence.  Bless you!

No comments: