Monday, April 23, 2018

Parsonage Parties

Joanne loved entertaining.  She set a beautiful table, and, while she wasn't at all sure, she was a good cook.  Flaming extrovert she was, there could never be too many people.  She loved Parsonage Parties.  My first "call" took me to Mohall, N.D.  I like to describe it as where Saskatchewan, Manitoba and North Dakota meet.  It was a great place to begin ministry and begin a family...actually, Lisa was born nine months before we got there.  With a population of about a thousand it was a vital center with a small hospital, the county seat, a variety of stores and viable school.
     About four times a year we'd host "Parsonage Parties" for the community youth.  We lived in the parsonage...church owned house, which was new when we arrived in 1968...one door from the school.  One night, all the students from the high school would be invited to our house (the parsonage) after a local football or basketball game.  On another night, all the junior high youth from the school would be invited.  There was a large rec room in the basement and a good sized living room/dinning room upstairs.  We'd close off the back of the house so our children could go to sleep. 
    Of course Joanne would feed them all.  She'd bake buns, slice them in half, put cheese and bacon on them and bake them in the oven.  With attendance running from sixty to ninety much food was consumed.
    A garage band would play in the basement.  One night a neighbor across the back alley called to complain about the loud music.  About 11:00 (?) the party would end.

    Tonight a friend told me about a woman who lost her husband.  The woman said "It took a year before I began to feel like I was living my life."  The period of time may vary but the idea resonated with me because it doesn't feel like i'm living my life now. 
    Tonight for the first time I sat in my chair in front of the big TV.  Next to it is Joanne's empty recliner.  While it felt weird, it was tolerable.  TV isn't much a part of my life but we would watch some sports together.  

Support keeps coming...know that it is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

No comments: