Thursday, March 26, 2015

Well Behaved

   For several years I've been volunteering at Noble Academy, A Hmong charter school.   Noble has about 500 students in grades kindergarten through eight.   Over 90% of the students are Hmong most of the other students are African with a few Caucasians.  All students study the Hmong language and culture.  Many of the students speak Hmong at home and some speak African languages. 97% are eligible for free or reduced lunches.
   It's an ideal volunteer opportunity for me. I work primarily with 5th and 6th grades.  If I'm available to volunteer I call the school to find out if there is any in classroom work for me to do.  If there is I go otherwise I stay home. I do not need to commit to being there at any  given time.
   Over the years I've observed how exceptionally well behaved are the students.  They are pleasant, energetic but respectful and orderly.  Yesterday I accompanied the 5th grade on a field trip to the science museum.  Seven students, 3 boys and 4 girls, were assigned to my group out of the 50 students who participated.  It was really fun because they were excited about the variety of things to do and explore.  Yet, they were very willing to stay together as a group and never strayed far from me.   The other 43 students were equally as well behaved.
   Why? Why are these Hmong and African students so well behaved?   Is it the homogeneity of the school?  Is it something in the Hmong and African culture?  Does it have to do with the relatively recent experience of immigration?  These are mostly 2nd and 3rd generation Americans.  These are questions for which I have no answer...but it makes volunteering a delight.
   This will be the last year in the building pictured below.  A new school is being built in Maple Grove very near Osseo and the junctions of highways #81 and #169.  The new building is much larger so the school will expand classes beyond eight grade.  Classes will begin there in September.

The current Noble School building at 40th and Thomas in north Minneapolis.

No comments: