Monday, March 2, 2015

"All will be revealed"

    Thunder and lightening awakened me this morning...the first signal that the rainy season is approaching.  Grass went from dull brown to green almost instantly.  It's also cooler, however, the humidity must 99%.   The usual 20 min. 4 mile trip to school took and hour and fifteen minutes today.  A bit like the first snow in Minneapolis.  Here cars replaced motorcycles and that jammed up the roads.  Motorcycles just weave through traffic while cars stack up.
    Buddha's birthday is Wednesday so a big holiday.  Alcohol sales are illegal that day so they just serve beer in a plastic cup;  the Thai way, honor the day while not losing a sale.  Speaking of that,it reminds me of Thai capitalism.  If a hotel has low occupancy so is losing money it raises it's rates to make up the difference.  Logic of a different sort.
   With the big holiday coming up, no school, offices closed, etc. the family has decided to take a trip and have invited me along.  As usual details are murky but I know that after school tomorrow (Tues.) we're going to Cha-Am.  It's a beach on the Gulf of Thailand south of Bangkok popular with Thai people.  I've been there once at the suggestion of my cousin Steve.  It's a laid back place where the Thai sit under huge umbrellas on the beach lest they get one speck darker.
  Many of the trip details are fuzzy but that's much of the fun.  Surprises abound and because they are not threatening or dangerous, they add to the fun.  I have no clue about internet access and because I'm not smart noun to have a smart phone I don't know if I can blog. Return time is also a mystery...I've warned the school I may not show up Thursday or Friday.  They said they'd just deduct it from my pay.

6th grade lined up before school

Gai and Ploy

3yr olds lined up for school

Ann, 3rd grade teacher on buffalo

6th graders with three year olds

No comments: