Friday, March 13, 2015

Graduation and Farewell

          Being the last day of the school term and my last day of teaching graduation for the 6th grade and my farewell were combined into one event.  The 6th grade were wearing their school uniforms with white tops and it is the custom to get farewell messages written on their shirts...like writing in yearbooks in America.
        There was an all school assembly for graduation and farewell,  I was seated in front with the other teachers.  Graduating 6th graders approached us on their knees, bowed to us and presented us with roses.  The roses were gathered from us and given to the younger students who later presented them to the 6th graders who lined up in front.  Of course there were speeches including my farewell address and a thank you to me from the principle and a also thank you to me from a 6th grade student.    The 5th grade sang a long song in unison as a choir.  Then I was presented with several gifts.
    Not surprisingly there were tears among the 6th grade.  More surprising were the tears of the younger students...some crying so hard they couldn't eat their lunch.  However, when the ice cream served on sweet, sticky rice came around the tears dried up.
    So ends another year; for the students, they now have vacation until mid-May when the new term begins and for me until next January?  The teachers are urging my return.  The teachers will continue to work through March and then they will be off until the new term.  At the beginning of the term each teacher will visit each of her students at the student's home.   My goodbye to the 6th grade had a finality because they now move unto middle school.  The class will split between two middle schools.
    One very touching moment for me was when it was time for me to leave most of the teachers walked me to the gate where I caught my ride.  They have really 'adopted' me into their group.  One of the teachers plans to retire in October but the others expect to remain.  The retiring one said she'd come back and cook for me when I return.
   Teaching has been satisfying.  The relationships with teachers and students is great and I feel like I now know how to be effective.  I hope I've made a difference in the student's lives but I know I have helped the teachers.
 

Students assembled

Don bowing to me

I'm blessing Milk

Teachers and students

5th grade choir singing

Boem thanking me

My farewell address

1 comment:

Steve Correll said...

That is really great Al. You have made a difference to them - and they to you. I applaud you for your work there! And you look younger - please, tell me THAT secret!

Steve