Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The View From Home.

      The inspiration that struck me when I was standing in front of the farewell assembly to ask the students to show some of what they learned  has sparked some thoughts about next year.  Perhaps there should be weekly demonstrations during assemblies where students show something they've learned. This could serve two purposes.  First, it could demonstrate to everyone what the students are learning.  Second, it would motivate the students learning if they knew they would be publicly accountable.   Another change I plan is to have the students verbally repeat the command even as they act it out.
       This year I worked very consciously on my Thai vocabulary.  There is no realistic expectation of ever speaking Thai. But, with an increased vocabulary it helps both in teaching and in general communication. During my two half hour free periods while at school I would study my Thai vocabulary and phrase book. Then I would check pronunciations with students or teachers.  Also, I'd bring my English/Thai dictionary to class and while I was teaching English I would sometimes check the Thai version of the word being taught, e.g., monkey is ling in Thai.
        The trip home seemed shorter this time.  Much depends on a state of mind.  I've found that if I don't concentrate on the discomfort of the trip the hours quickly slip by. There's a huge difference between "4 more hours!" and "wow, only 4 hours left.
   I'll be posting more reflections and pictures for awhile.
Student presenting me with gifts from the school at the farewell.
Holding one of the gifts.

I'm presenting a gift to the principal.
4th grade boys taking it easy while I work with the girls.
4th grade girls taking it easy while I work with the boys.

No comments: