Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Get Out of Jail Free...sort of.....

    American citizens with a valid passport arriving in Thailand are granted a free visa that is good for 30 days.  Monday morning while I was checking in for my flight out of Bangkok a Delta employee looked at my passport and visa.  He said "You've overstayed your visa two days you'll be charged 1000B ($30.)"  He said "Yes, it must be paid in Thai Baht."  I reached into my pocket to check my supply of Baht and counted 950B.  An American in line ahead of me asked how much I had and when I told him he gave 50B.
   After checking in I went to passport control and the officer looked at my passport and visa, stamped it and sent me on my way without diverting me to the desk to pay an overstay fine. It was like a "get our jail free" card saving me $30.  I never saw the American again to give him back his 50B ($1.50).
Students showing me proper respect.

5th grade on the floor.


Met and Poe eating on the floor.  Thai are as comfortable on the floor as at a table.

6th grade.

Students gathering for morning assembly.

5th graders Hawaa and Milk.

No comments: