Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Final Farewell for the Third time.

   Gai talks a mile a minute, pigeon English with a speech impediment.  Some say that my hearing is suspect.  This means I understand about 10% of what Gai says.  Yesterday she asked me if I could do something after school today I said, yes, thinking it may have something to do with Mai's school situation.  If I have a general idea of what is happening I just make the assumption that "all will be revealed." and don't worry about my lack of understanding.
   When all was revealed today it turned out that I was taking the family, and especially the girls, out for ice cream at Swensen's. It was delightful but it meant that I have now had three final farewells with them.  On the way we stopped for fuel for the tuk tuk where Ompa is working.  At age 14 he has a job fueling vehicles with natural gas...no OSHA rules in Thailand.
   In the family we have many laughs over language, mispronunciations, misunderstandings, attempts to say foreign words, etc.  There are some men working on the outside of the house.  We were going for pizza and I asked when we would go?   Met thought I was asking about food so she said "no mangoes" because she had bought fresh mangoes.. I said, "O we go when man goes home."  So goes our communication accompanied with much laughter.
  The pizza was good, Bangkok's is better, and we also had a  first class Caesar salad.  Mini-wieners were baked into the outside crust of the pizza (see picture).  For my last evening with the family, tonight, we'll go to Tony's which they love.  Besides it's kind of morbid around the house.
6th grade.

Paper recyclers came to school today.

3rd grade.

14 year old Ompa fueling the tuk-tuk.

Ice cream at Swensen's.

No comments: