Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Grand Farewell!

    From my seat in the office I could tell something was up when I saw all of the classes dismissed early for lunch. Told to wait until I was summoned I wondered what was planned.  When I was called to the lunch/meeting room I was ushered to the front of a student assembly...all the students were seated on the floor in rows by grade and gender for my farewell.
   The principal thanked me for my teaching.  The student body president, 6th grader, Mata, made a nice 'thank you' speech and presented me with a gift from the school.  Then I was invited to address the students.  I decided to show off a bit.  At the conclusion of my remarks I told the students that I was going to give them a test (all the speaking was translated). Then without translation I said "Students raise  your right arm" 60 right arms shot  up.  Then I called on 3 or 4 students individually and gave them English commands which they did.  I was so proud.
   The teaching method I use is called Total Physical Response  ( thanks Kathy W.).   It consists of verbal commands which students follow, e.g.,  "give me a green pen"  "go outside and touch the flag"  "show me your right thumb" etc.  The beauty of it I can use it even though my Thai language skills are minimal.
   During the last two days of teaching as I finished final teaching for that class students were giving me gifts; plastic roses, stuffed animals, etc and real roses.  The most touching was from some 4th grade girls who gave me a bouquet of flowers they had picked.  It was also touching to learn the students ask the teachers when I'm coming back.
  I'm  now in the Christian Guesthouse in Bangkok and the computer is too slow to upload pictures.  Pictures will be uploaded after I return home Monday 2/10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How absolutely wonderful! Obviously your time, care and work are so appreciated. What a blessing you are to them, they are to you and hearing about it is to us. Thanks so much!
Tracy