Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Two Geezers Navigate Bucharest

Between Sighisoara and Sibiu we turned off to visit the fortress church at Breitan. This church has a room in which couples wanting a divorce were locked for two weeks to think things over. Perhaps the threat of confinement was enough to dissuade...one can only speculate about the two weeks for those so confined. I'm proud to say that this self-directed elder hostel managed a week on the road without a cross word. And that comes after navigating Bucharest with out map and only the most rudimentary signage. It was a relief to surrender the car and let the taxi driver take over. Something about trying to navigate while in gridlocked traffic without maps or signs...fortunately the sun was shining so I could keep my directions straight. I imagine the day not far when Bucharest is locked in 24 hour gridlock and no one can move.


Driving the road, autobahn they call it, from Pitesti to Bucharest was a trip. As I was passing slow moving trucks cars would roar up behind me, blink their lights, honk their horn, and if I still wasn't fast enough clearning their lane they'd turn on their siren. Ah, such anxiety. Perhaps you can imagine how effective they were in influencing my behavior.

Have I said, "Life is Good"? It is.

1 comment:

Terri Mork Speirs said...

Thanks for your wonderful blog, Al and Joanne. It's been so fun to follow your trip, which now I must take myself. Congratulations on the self managed Elderhostel. "Geezers" ?? I think not. Love, T