Monday, May 14, 2007

2007 European Heritage City

After a delightful stay in Sighoasora we motored to Sibiu, the 2007 Euopean Cultural Capital. We took a side trip to Breiten to see a prime example of a fortified church. This church was circled by four walls to use as a fortress whne the communityu was attacked. It is in spendid condition. As good as seeing the church was the detour down and back road through famrs and villages.

I thought I worked hard growing up on a farm. When I saw farmers cutting hay with a sycthe, raking hay fields by hand, and hand hoeing thier fields I decided I did not have it so bad. We see a few tractors, a 1960's model IHC that I'd didn't recognize was parked behind our hostel in Sighoasora, but we see 50 horse carts for every tractor. We've only seen one herd of water buffalo but the are supposed to be common, too.

Our hotel is on the historic city sqyare of Sibiu and according to the guide book the best location in the city. It's alos very nice. Way to go Orbitz! the self-directed elder hosteler's friend. The hotel offers free massage so we're going to check that out.

We see very little racial diversity. I don't think we've seen and Indian since Paris and very few blacks or Asians. The oppressed minority here are the Roma (Gypsies) though we haven't seen many of them either.

No comments: