Friday, January 12, 2018

My Motto, Story Worth 12/1/2018

  
MY MOTTO
    Several years ago I attended some kind of educational event in which we were directed to write our personal mission statement. Dow Chemical’s “Better Living Through Chemistry” always struck me as the epitome of mission statements. (Let’s ignore any thoughts about the company.) Easy to remember, brief, and it accurately summed up what the company was to be about.
    Giving the Dow Chemicals statement a twist I declared my mission statement, i.e., motto, “Better Living Through Truth.” It harks back to my childhood in a family given to indirect speech with roots in a Scandinavian culture of more innuendo than clear communication. Perhaps generations of Norwegians living in close proximity to each other in smaller, isolated communities developed this pattern of speech to avoid alienating neighbors with whom they had to live. If a person came right out and clearly stated an idea or opinion they could not evade the consequences. However, if they said it obliquely they would always leave room for deniability. “Oh, that’s not what I meant.”
    As the youngest of four children likely there was motivation for me in blurting things out because at least I’d be noticed. There were times when I played the role of the child who said “Look, the emperor has no clothes.” “Say what you mean and mean what you say!” I do remember thinking as a child “why don’t they just say it?” Many times I’d get fed up and just say it.
    The challenge for me as an adult has been to temper my directness. Abundant surprise and uncomfortable responses from others has taught me to be more circumspect. Just because I think something I don’t have to say it. There are kind and gentle ways to be honest and direct.
    Something has equipped me to be keenly aware of what is happening in human interactions that involve me or that I observe with others. Often it is helpful to honestly name what I see. However, that is best done in the context of trusting relationships. That naming is most effective when it is not accompanied by a sense of judgment and done without anxiety or anger. For me, this is a work in progress.

    Better Living Through Truth. How well do I live this out? Imperfectly at best but perhaps it’s best to leave the evaluation to others. It is a goal towards which I strive.

No comments: