Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Word from Thailand.

Recently I've had fairly regular but brief emails from my host family in Thailand. Today the message was that Max (wife/mother) is going back to work tomorrow. Poo, daughter, is out of a job because her company disbanded. She's a University graduate and was working in I.T. No word about Mai (husband/father). The emails are very brief and cryptic.
I also heard from Gai, the woman who fed the volunteer teachers three years ago. She said they were working on their house and she said "please help my family." I assume that help would be money. I've emailed her back to ask for clarification. Their livelihood was a tuk-tuk, the three wheeled taxis that are ubiquitous in Thailand. I asked in my email if the tuk-tuk is safe. If it is they have some hope of recovery once tourists return.
I'll bring as much money as I can to help these families get back on their feet. Should you be interested in more information on the recent flooding Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, has very good information about it www.wikipedia.com

No comments: