Monday, November 21, 2011

News from Thailand

I'm now in email contact with the family with whom I stayed last year. Since I was there they have moved into the house they were building. The house is flooded but they are holed up on the second floor unable to go out. They do have food and they spend their days reading and watching TV. (I'm curious how they have electricity when the downstairs if flooded?) It seems that they have been isolated like this for at least three months. This means that none of them are working. They think the water will recede by Dec. 1.
They have invited me to stay with them again and I plan to do that. I'll leave here on Dec. 25, and spend January teaching in the same school...I hope. The school is currently flooded, it's on the banks of a canal, but I'm hoping it will be operational by the first week of January.
The United States pledged a paltry 10 million in aid. Grace University Lutheran, where I am a member is gathering funds to send with me. I'll distribute it to some families I know there. Another family sent me a brief email a few weeks ago that said "House flooded, no money, no food."

No comments: