Friday, November 18, 2011

News from Thailand

The house in which I stayed two years ago, now flooded.





I've received some occasional emails from the family with whom I stayed last year including an invitation to stay with them again when I go back. While I was there they were in the process of building a house which they've since occupied. Fortunately is two story. They've been living in the upper story, and best as I can tell, unable to go out. Apparently they have electricity because they did send an email. A couple of weeks ago they said that they had not worked in three months. They also said they expect the water to subside by Dec. 1. The rains began in July but now have ended. The school where I teach is flooded and that was no surprise to me.


The U.S. announced 10 million in aid which I think is an appallingly stingy response! Losses in Thailand will many billion dollars. I'll bring what money I can for some direct aid. I'm really wondering what I'll find when I get there.

No comments: