Friday, September 23, 2011

Not a hero!

Last night while I was standing in the foyer of Target Center before the Lynx game a woman whom I didn't know approached me shook my hand, said "Thank you" and handed me a pre-printed card. On the front of the card was printed "Thank you for your service and dedication to Our Country." On the reverse it said "Dear American Hero, I am not certain as to how to express my gratitude for all you have done to secure my freedom. Please accept this simple card as a small token of my appreciation. A grateful American citizen."
It took me a little while to figure out that I was likely selected because I was wearing my 'Marines' cap a friend gave me this summer. It left me with decidedly mixed feelings.
At the very least I know that I am not a hero. When I enlisted in 1959 all healthy American males were expected to serve at least two years. After two years of directionless college I needed to regroup. A three year enlistment in the Marines gave me time to grow up, fulfill my military obligation and have some travel and adventure. Patriotism? not so much and no heroism.
The infantry company to which I was assigned had a First Sergeant who had 30+ years of service. I remember him waxing eloquent about the lack of patriotism among the Marines in the company. Some of the Marines had enlisted as an alternative to going to jail.
The well meaning woman who gave me the card is probably the embodiment of reaction to the disgraceful treatment of American Servicemen returning from Vietnam. Everyone seems ready to bend over backward to honor military personnel. It is true that many make great sacrifices in military service.
The all volunteer services of today are a subject for another blog in which I'll argue that the draft should be reinstated,

1 comment:

Steve Correll said...

A Marine For Life. Great song - you probably know it - but thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpwCx0lnPRs