Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Noble Academy

Today I began volunteering at Noble Academy which is a charter school in N. Mpls. (50th & Thomas Ave N) The school has an enrollment of 500 students in Kindergarten through 8th grades. Five years old the academy is housed in a building recently vacated by Maranatha Academy. Obviously it was built as a school but I don't know when or by whom. It is a wonderful facility.
Classes are limited to 25 students, 95% of whom are Asian, primarily Hmong. The other 5% of the students are African American. There are two Caucasian students, one of whom, is from Sweden. Her parents chose the school because she is an English language learner and her parents like the emphasis on learning English.
Students are bused from Mpls. and surrounding suburbs and both breakfast and lunch are provided. The school day is an hour longer than public schools. Saturday classes are offered, too, and a majority of the students attend. Noble teachers are invited to teach on Saturdays for extra pay and some do. Teachers, even principals, from other schools also teach.
Every student learns the Hmong language. There is one teacher, a St. Olaf graduate, who specializes in teaching Hmong. Today I sat in on 2nd grade Hmong lesson and got an idea I'll use when I teach in Thailand.
I'll work individually or in small groups helping with reading and conversation. The schedule is flexible...I'll just notify the school a day in advance of my schedule.

No comments: