Monday, March 1, 2010

Thai casuistry.

There was some major Buddhist holiday this weekend but I could never figure out exactly what was commemorated. It seems the festival was Sunday but it carried over to Monday with most people having the day off. I asked the waitress at the place I ate last night if she'd been to the temple she said "No, but I have Buddha in my heart."
In honor of the festival establishments could not serve a bottle of beer...as they said "because of the police." However, they would pour the bottle into a paper cup and serve that. It seems quintessentially Thai. The law is passed, no alcohol on the festival because it seems the proper thing to do. Then they find a way to ameliorate the results, no bottle but you can have the beer, so that no one is significantly inconvenienced.
I returned to Ayutthaya (minibus) this afternoon (Monday) and will resume teaching tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting article. Thanks for sharing.