Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rigid people need not apply.

At Wat Klong this morning I asked what I should do. The English teacher thought a moment and then said "3rd grade, OK?" It would have been helpful to have some warning so I could prepare. Oh, yes, she also said "They are very naughty." The 5th graders were using the 3rd grade room for standardized testing so the 3rd graders were told to sit on the floor in the 5th grade room. That presents a challenge when I want to hear them individually pronounce the English word in question.
Nevertheless, the first 50 minutes went well. However, the last 10 minutes lasted well over an hour! To use up some timeI couldn't even get them into drawing me a picture because of the language barrier. Under the direction of their regular teacher they had done pictures for me to take home I just wanted tp kill some time.
While at lunch with the teachers I was told in effect, "O by the way the Buddhist students go to the temple tomorrow and the Muslim students stay in this building for a meeting. So there are no classes."
OK....that means I'm done teaching but I was hoping for pictures. After a bit of negotiation it was agreed that we'd have photo ops at 8:30am. Flexibility must be a good thing...right?

No comments: