Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Recipe, "You take a bull a week..."

It turned out to be as much a social call as a tractor deal. Herman was selling an IHC H, that I thought I needed. Freeman, SD, is such a nice easy trip from Sinai. Go west 5 miles to Highway 81, turn south and follow 81 for 75 miles and you find Freeman. Herman said to drive to the cell phone tower and you will find him...and the tractor and there they were.
I backed my trailer in the ditch, loaded the tractor, chained it down and Herman said, "Get in the car." First up was a tour of Freeman a heavily Mennonite town. We saw the museum, largest one in SD and about to expand by a third, the arboretum, the Mennonite Christian Academy and then stopped at the grocery store. Herman bought cheese, bologna, crackers and pop. He bought a second bologna to send home with me. Back at his shop we turned a five gallon bucket upside down, pulled up two chairs and had our lunch.
Herman said that the bologna could only be found in Freeman and Germany. He once asked the old German butcher for the recipe, a deeply guarded secret. The old butcher said, "Vell, you take a bull a week...."
I told Herman that I'd accompanied my friend Rollie to Freeman a few years ago to pick up a tractor. We didn't figure out that he'd bought it from Herman until he asked me what I did. Then he said, "I sold him that tractor." I've used Herman as a sermon illustration. When he heard that Rollie was a seminary professor and I a pastor he said, "Of course I tithe (give 10% of my money to the church) but I also tithe my time. I give at least a day a week helping someone who needs it." I liked the "of course I tithe" and also the tithing time.
Tractors are secondary to the people I meet.

No comments: