Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wildlife encounters.

While I was driving my 1941 IHC M tractor down the highway at the breakneck speed of 18 mph I spotted a painted turtle contemplating suicide. It was basking in the 88 degree heat on the asphalt road directly in the traffic lane. Stopping the tractor I picked him up and returned him to the water in the ditch. Subsequent trips past the spot indicate that I successfully prevented his suicide as I spotted no flattened fauna on the road.
While I was working on a tractor in front of my garage a sparrow lighted on my cap. He may have stayed awhile but I was so surprised I twitched and off he flew. That was a first in my experience.
Sea Gulls often follow a farmer plowing a field looking for an easy meal. While I was plowing in preparation for planting corn a Red Tailed Hawk followed me. I assume he was hoping I'd disturb a rodent. He flew very close to me and landed on a fence post about twenty feet away. Then he smiled at me and flew away.

No comments: