Saturday, April 18, 2009

Think! Why Die? X marks the spot.

Thursday, after delivering a tractor to a buyer at Ocheadan, IA., we were driving north on Interstate #29 in SDak. I started counting the Think! signs on my side of the Interstate. SDak. is the only state I know that erects a sign at the site of every road fatality. In fact, if four people die in an accident they erect four signs at the spot. On one side the sign says, "Think!" and on the other, "Why Die?" and "X marks the spot."
The more recent signs are ofter decorated with ribbons, flowers and other things. These decorations bring home the fact that a life, or lives, were lost on this spot. Seldom do I pass such a sign without a thought about who it was who died here? How did it happen? How old was he/she? Who was devastated by their death? Why did it happen at this spot? Who was first at the scene? What is it like for the police who respond? What has our society lost in the premature death of these persons? How have we become so complacent about the death toll on our roads?
I applaud SDak. for providing this memorial that also serves as a warning to drivers. Perhaps as we pass those signs we could use them as reminders to pray for the family and friends of those who died.
Twenty nine...that's how many signs I counted on the east side from the where we turned on to I-29 from I-90 until we turned off at the Sinai-Elkton exit. I'd guess that's about fifty miles and the road is less than fifty years old.

No comments: