Tuesday, April 21, 2009

There is a time to plant...corn!

Last year for the first time in fifty years I planted corn and now, a year later, I can say it turned out rather well. I didn't get the rows very straight no matter how many times I looked back so see how I was doing. But the corn grew and thrived feeding the pheasants all through a cold and snowy winter.
Now it is time to plant again. What have I learned? Maybe I cultivated too much because there weren't many weeds and the pheasants like weeds for cover. Sometimes the corn was planted too close together so the cultivator plowed some up. Pheasants don't care if the rows are straight and the field is far for the neighbors to see. I learned that I still know how to use a planter but I didn't plant enough end rows.
Over the next few days I hope to chop the stalks, plow and disc the field, plant the corn and harrow it once. Then I can sit back and wait for cultivating and spraying thistles. (Someone should produce a horror movie where thistles take over the world.) This means I'll be away from this blog a few days but should come back with some stories.

No comments: