Monday, January 26, 2009

Well this IS an adventure!

Mr. Kai picked me up the guesthouse for the drive to my teaching site outside of Ayuthaya. He was unable to answer any of my questions about what was to happen so I began to wonder. Eventually I discovered he was only the driver to get me to Ayuthaya. He said Ms. Kai would explain it all once we arrived. I relaxed. Arriving at Ayuthaya we picked my Ms. Kai and drove to the yellow house on the outskirts of town. She showed me my room, which does have a/c but no hot water, said she'd bring dinner at 6pm, asked me how spicy I like my food and told me to call her if I need anything and, oh yes, there are two volunteers upstairs.
I wandered upstairs to meet the volunteers and learned the rest of the story. The school is a block away, there is no English teacher there and they put us in front of a room full of elementary students and say "teach". This should be a trip! One of the volunteers has been here a week the other a bit longer. This will truly be what we make of it! Seems that since we are volunteers they don't expect much of us other than suddenly being ready to teach a foreign language.
So, once I got settled in, I hopped a tuk-tuk and found this internet cafe. I raised the average about 50 years when I walked in.....there are at least a gazillion adolescents plainy video games. Wish I could transmit the sound that accompanies this experience.
Well....I'm going to explore a bit. I'll report tomorrow on the classroom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome. can't wait to hear about your first day of school. :)I wonder if you'll have to take off your shoes?

Anonymous said...

Need some help with this one?

Georgia :)