Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Off to Phnom Penh

Last fall a remarkable young women, who attends the same church we do, Grace University Lutheran, spent several months volunteering in Cambodia. Her name is Emily Foecke and part of her work was at New Day Cambodia, and orphanage in Phnom Penh. Through the church and other contacts in America she collected educational books for the orphanage. Her sister, Leah, planned to deliver the books on a Thanksgiving trip to visit Emily. The shutdown of the airport in Bangkok prevented Leah from traveling. So I will deliver the books tomorrow. I suggest you read Emily's blog, this is a GOOD blog, :) at http://www.emilyincambodia.typepad.com beginning from her first days.
It has been five or six years since I was in PP and I'm looking forward seeing how it has changed and visiting the family that became good friends of our daughter, Lisa, when she lived there several years ago. I'll return to Bangkok on Sunday and begin my teaching stint on Monday. Stay tuned for an inside view of a temple school, 600 boys and girls, age 3 to 12. The school is near Thailand's ancient capital Ayuthaya which is about an hour north of Bangkok.

No comments: